Skip to main content

An Eye-Opener

My company is currently in a project with this organization to produce a book on e-Business for SMEs. The focus of the project is to introduce e-Business in the most simple way and to open the minds of SMEs on e-Business. What we have done is we identified several individuals/companies doing business with online presence and we meet and interview them. I actually selected a range of targets ie from the most basic way of doing online business (ie just having a simple blog with payment via money transfer) to the most advanced business (ie having a full-fledged website with e-commerce and e-payment using creditcard, etc).

I have personally met with 2 of such individuals and I must say it is an eye-opener. I mean, I have been involved in Web ever since 1995 but have never thought of venturing into e-Business. Even that baju kurung blog was simply just to have a place to showcase, that's all.

Last week I met with a very inspiring gentleman who heads a foundation to help the poor and single mothers, who started the e-Business based on "IT is not something out of this world, anybody can use it". And who actually "forced" IT-illiterate single mothers to use the Internet, and now they not only get orders via email, they can chat on YM too.

And yesterday I met a housewife who started her e-Business just by having a simple blog but actively participate in forums to promote her products. She allocates about 3 hours in a day after her kids go off to school to check her emails, monitor forums and research for information. All her products are carefully packaged and mailed via Pos Laju. She earns 4-figure income every month.

I am inspired!

Comments