Skip to main content

Papadom for All Papas

Dear Afdlin Shauki,

We went to watch your movie Papadom last Sunday. Me, Hubby and our daughter Aliyah Maisarah. Yes, our daughter yang for first five years of her life has been called "Sarah" (sebab I rasa nama tu glamer gila dan I boleh buat slang Mat Salleh sikit kalau panggil dia), but one fine day she came back from her kindy and told us to call her "Aliyah" instead (sebab dia kata nama Sarah tak sedap and warned me lain kali kalau nak bagi nama, tanyalah dia dulu!), who just recently liked the name "Maisarah" sebab dekat-dekat dengan nama "Miasara".

Mula-mula my daughter tak nak tengok movie you. Ada ke dia nak tengok cerita Jin tu? I told her ala-ala Mak Dara - "pannnthang nenek moyang aku tengok wayang cerita yang tak de kualiti! Siapa itu Jin? Lawyer? Magistrate?". No lah, that's my overactive imagination. I told her I forbid us all watching a low quality movie kat wayang. Kalau nak tengok cerita macam tu, tunggu Raya tahun depan.

Before the movie started, I joked with Aliyah that I'm going to bet her Abah will cry -because all reviews (err... blogs) I read cakap bapak-bapak sure nangis lah tengok ni. Know what happen? Masa scene Saadom and Mia bertangis-tangisan tu, I heard sniffs next to me and found my daughter tengah menangis and Hubby dok lap her tears with his hanky and then he wiped his tears pulak. Both father and daughter cried. Powerful lah your movie.

I don't know how you managed to make all the actors in your movie "pandai berlakon". Except for the boria boys yang memang kena pandang camera ala-ala buat show boria, the others are naturals. I rasa semua characters best. Norkhairiah yang jadi Mun tu punyalah best. I paling suka dia jadi cheerleader. Mat aka Wajib Tayang - excellent. Yang last sekali masa Mia dok main-main teddybear kat shirt dia tu - that's so hilarious. I actually paling suka Yvonne. Masa dia kata "Woi! Bodoh!" kat Scha tu, punyalah best. Kalau I lah kena semburan bodoh macam tu, memang sorok muka dalam toilet bowl. Harun Salim Bachik? What can I say - movie you wajib ambik dia OK. "Sana potong, sana potong, sana gaduh, sana potong!", "jangan terlalu emosi dengan tanah" and "Shukor kata..." tu buat I ketawa sorang-sorang bila teringat. You tau, the last time I ketawa sorang-sorang teringatkan a movie was the time after I watched "Mr Bean the Holidays".

Well done. You've done an excellent job. You make people laugh and cry - all in one movie. That's a rare gift and I applaud you. You illustrated the love of parents for their kids in such simple manner. After the movie I told my daughter that's how your Abah loves you, and she nodded and understood. What a way to celebrate her 8th birthday :)

People, go watch Papadom!

Comments