Skip to main content

Classy Not Trashy

Kalau dah patah seribu, whatever heartaches that come after that are like being protected by an antibody. I'm not saying it doesn't hurt, I'm just saying the body is already broken enough to withstand another assault. The whole heart might collapse like a house of cards, but I collect each and every piece and put them back together.

With all these "whys" in my head, I spent the day at the office, coaching Aliyah with her studies for her coming exams, not before taking her to the clinic as she was not well. You know she's not well when she couldn't finish half of her Hj Tapah roti telur. I promised her that if she studies and takes her medicine, she can have Sushi King for lunch.  And Sushi King it was.

The place was packed for lunch so we took the two bar seats at the conveyor belt. Aliyah ate a few plates of her favourite sushi even though she ordered tempura udon. Then, a gentleman came and sat next to her - the only available seat in the house. I glanced - a good looking man approaching end 40s. Smartly dressed with streaks of grey hair and all alone. He ordered food that can feed 2 people. He looked at us a few times until I finally caught his eyes and smiled looking at his food. He awkwardly offered his bowl of pickled ginger saying it's free. He then said why don't we combine bills so that we can take advantage of his credit card's discounts. Sure, I said. In between feeding Aliyah with udon, we talked. Not much but still talked. Let's see - about the price of real estate around these areas, the routes (he always misses the turning to Nilai 3), how things have changed so much that we don't need to go to KL anymore, he asked "kakak ni sekolah darjah berapa" to Aliyah and I even asked where his wife teaches. I called for the bill. Unfortunately, we cannot combine our bills. Know what, if we could, I think he would have paid for us. I got up, told him - "see you around", paid and left.

That, my friend, is classy. Light, intelligent conversation, friendly enough not to reveal much about ourselves. As I walked away, I thought, it can develop into something if I were to turn around and exchanged cards. Or if he finishes his meal fast and we pay our bills together. Perhaps, that's how some relationships started. Of course, I am not that kind of person. I simply walked away. Despite such an awful start to the day, it is mended by having a nice meal with Aliyah (seeing how much she ate!), and knowing that at this age, I still have it (if I want to). To whom it may concern, trashy is so not my thing so you can continue with whatever cheap flings of talking about painting rooms and buat-buat merajuk with some bimbo.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You still have it if you want to. Yes, if.
Aniza said…
Yes, if kan... :). Tetapi ia menjadikan hati I berbunga-bunga dan tersenyum simpul sampai malam. Aliyah jeling cekak pinggang sambil cakap "Mommmmyy...".