Skip to main content

Aliyah Sleepwalks...

Yes, Aliyah sleepwalks. It's been going on I think since she was in kindy. At our previous house, she would only sleep walk from her room to our room. Since I'm a light-sleeper, I would hear her footsteps coming to our room. She would stand next to me, scratch her head and mumble. I would take her back to her room. Sometimes this would happen a couple of times a night. If we happen to be downstairs, she would jump into our bed and continue sleeping.

When we moved to this home, the sleepwalking continues and gets worse. She would go find us - in our room or downstairs. As before, she would come to us, scratch her head and mumble (if we ask her what she's doing coming down). And we would take her back to her room. I always worry her coming down the stairs because she's not aware of what she's doing. When we ask her the next day, she would give a blank look and said she doesn't remember.

The day before yesterday, I was at the desk doing work at around 1.00am when I heard her footsteps coming down the stairs, suddenly there was a loud sound. I ran up the stairs and found her sprawled on the stairs. She fell when she was coming down. I carried her to her bed and got Hubby to check her foot. By then she was crying. A few minutes later, she fell asleep.

The next morning at breakfast I asked her whether she remembers the fall. She doesn't! She said, "Ooo... patutlah kaki Aliyah sakit. Patutlah lengan Aliyah ni lebam."

Hubby researched some websites and found that sleepwalking is normal for kids below 12 years old. That we should not worry. That we must always keep sharp objects out of reach. That it's better to get the child to sleep in a room downstairs.

I am so so worried. So I called my father. Before this he gave advise on the surah for Aliyah to recite at night before going to sleep. She has been doing that but the fall was such serious matter. He gave us 2 bottles of water that he has recited surah onto, for Aliyah to drink before going to sleep, to put some in her bath, and to sprinkle some around her room. He said for her to get good night sleep without waking and walking.

Alhamdulillah, last night she slept through the night (I should know because I was the one who couldn't sleep worrying about her!). Let's see if tonight she sleeps soundly as well. I really hope so. It is very dangerous for her to walk down the stairs while asleep.

Comments