Skip to main content

First Day of 2013

That fine point between 11.59pm of 31st December and 12.01am of 1st January every year always brings this tremble to the heart. That second separates two years - the previous with experience and memories, the latter with hopes and uncertainties. I guess this applies to a lot of people and is a universal thing. Perhaps that's why people celebrate that second with cheers and fireworks. Because they know that come tomorrow, life is totally changed. The cheers and fireworks are just disguises of fear and anxiety. I don't know, that's just my mind rambling...

How I spent the day? Early morning, after Subuh and my usual preparation for the stuff to send over to Nazeem, sent off Hubby for his ride. Then, caught a nap. Then, went for breakfast with Aliyah. Then, went to Tesco and Giant Nilai for groceries. More of saja jalan-jalan buang masa. Aliyah is starting school tomorrow and I am the one having butterflies in my tummy. Why? Because she is Standard 6 this year! Standard 6??? But she's just a baby... UPSR is this year and I guess this is what parents with kids sitting for big exams feel.

As usual she is so relaxed. I am the one reminding her that she needs to have a schedule and follow it diligently. She would just grin at me. We have decided she will just go to the school's extra classes instead of attending tuition. At this moment lah. Let her just enjoy school lah kan. Why the unnecessary burden. It's just an exam. Not the end of the world. One post by Hubby's ex-boss Hizwani today confirms our decision. He wrote: "In my daughter's school ada 40 orang yang dapat 9As in PMR. Quite a number of those only had 1A or even no As during UPSR. And there is also no guarantee that those with all As will do well in SPM nor will those with no As in PMR cannot get all As in SPM. Just do your best all the time for the right reasons. Insyallah. Belajar sehingga akhir hayat with or without exams".

Aliyah has done well by our standards. She is so well-behaved. Hormat orang tua. Well-loved by her uncles and aunties. She's very smart, maybe a bit lazy at times. She's excellent with gadgets. She showed us she is creative and innovative by starting her little business of making labels and selling to her friends with the label-maker we gave her as a present (she has this thick RM1 notes in her angpau envelope - profits from her business). She takes care of her stuff very well - her PS2 (we bought it when she was 4 years old) is still in good condition, so are her Game Boy, handphone (passed down by Hubby) and her iPro. So, I have no worries. She is a champion in her own rights :).

Now, back to the new year... life is now back in "school" mode, so it'll be pretty much the same. Just that I really need to make sure Aliyah is a little bit rajin than last year. Just to make me less worry actually. And I hope to take up cycling again now that my Orbea is back in "full condition". It was taken apart, put back together, and taken apart again, then back together, then customised for Aliyah, and now back to fit me. I really need to lose some weight!

Comments