Skip to main content

Topping the Class

Aliyah came back from school with news that she topped her class - something that has never happened before. As much as I'm so happy for her, it's actually a mixed feeling. As I said before, she's not in the correct class. She didn't perform so well earlier in the year, plus there were new students coming in and the school opened 2 new classes. So, she got pushed down. I personally would rather her be an average in a good class.

During my schooling years, I have always been in good schools and good classes. Only twice in my whole 11 years of schooling did I topped in class. My early years was at SRK Kg Tunku, PJ - one of the top primary schools in PJ. The school was packed - my batch consisted of 14 classes (A - N). My worst class was "F" (standard 1 & 3) and the best was "C" (standard 2). In between, I was in "D" or "E". When I got transferred to a kampung school in Sg Besar, I was in "A" (there were only 3 classes) and I never failed to get top 5 in all exams.

I then spent the next 5 years in SM (P) Sri Aman, PJ - another top school in PJ. My only greatest achievement was getting number 5 in final exams during my Form 1 that the next year, I was put in the 2nd class in Form 2. From then onwards, I never went lower than the 3rd class out of almost 12 or more classes. That was the real deal - multi-racial students (more Chinese I think), rich kids who come to school in Jaguars and Mercs who could afford home private tutors.

I guess that kind of environment shaped me. I know that I can never be the best but because I was among the best, being in the top 25%, it was an achievement. That's how real world works. You need to assess yourself with the best and put your standards high.

I wish Aliyah can be fed to the sharks like I did.

Comments