Skip to main content

Know Thy Problem, Then Work on Solutions

I really need to write about this. Because these past weeks saw problems flying all over - too much for such a small company like ours. I can handle all if I wish to, but then what's the use of having people around? So I let problems be solved. Most of the times, impatiently. Yes, very impatiently, especially when I have the answers at the tip of my tongue.

One thing that I have in me that I believe got passed down from my father is being able (well, not all the time) to identify the root of a problem. My father is a historian in his own rights. Whenever he speaks of anything - politics, current issues, etc, he would look at them from their roots. For example, if he speaks of the royal lineage of a state, he would recite the history of the royal family right from the start. If he talks about certain successful public figure, he would give the accounts of the figure's road to success eg the family background, education, etc. I have always respected that kind of thinking. I always try to figure out a problem that way - finding the root. Because if you don't even know what the problem is, let alone how the problem started, how can you work on the solutions?

When something comes along, stop for a while and think. If you stare at it and can't find the solution, look at it from another perspective. The perspective of other people, other situations. Worst comes to worst, just get up from your chair and look at the computer screen from another angle. But pause and ponder. The world doesn't really move that fast that one needs to react on everything the moment an email, a call or an SMS comes in.

I don't usually reply to an email or SMS promptly. I would read it, understand the content, leave it for a while and then come back to it - read again, compose my thoughts and then reply. That duration of pause is the time to gather info - read old emails, do research, ask opinions, etc. Rather than hastily replying and confusing other people in the process. I remember replying to an email from our partner Shaji. I received it in the morning, gathered my thoughts on it and replied it late afternoon. It was not an urgent email. And he replied with the nicest remark I've ever received - "a very thought through response, typical of Aniza".

Anyway, most important thing is - know and understand the problem and then find the right solutions. Just like learning - when you understood the problem and found the solution, you will never forget.

This is not rocket science. Nor does this need a Master's degree to grasp. This is pure logic. I always believe in being logical. And rational.

Comments