Skip to main content

Peer Pressure?

My little girl and I had this conversation one day about being rich. Aliyah was telling me about her schoolmates - how some of them are rich, their parents driving expensive cars, etc. Then she asked, "Kita sederhana kan?". And I said - yes. Then she went on again about another classmate whose father is an actor and asked, "Pelakon kaya kan?". And I said - it depends.

Anyway, deep inside I was quite worried with her thoughts. This thing about being rich is really, really not good. So, I took her for a small prep talk. I told her - being rich is not everything. Being rich doesn't mean one is happy. I told her when she was a toddler, I did make quite a lot of money. I really had extras at the end of the month. But the problem was - I only see her like only one hour a day. If she wakes up early, I still didn't have time to spend with her being busy getting dressed to go to work. Sometimes, she'd still be sleeping when I take her to the babysitter. I told her I only reach home at night and I can only spend like half an hour with her before it's time for her to take her milk and sleep.

But after Mommy started working on her own, I told her, Mommy could spend so much time with her. She then remembered and smiled, "Mommy ambik Aliyah balik sekolah, kita pergi jalan-jalan tengok wayang kan?". Yup, and that made Mommy very happy even though Mommy doesn't make as much money, I said. I think I got my point across because she said she's much happier now that she sees so much of me compared to last time.

Then she asked, "sekarang ni Mommy dah tak kerja KL dah tak banyak duit lah ya, tapi happy?". Err... I then told her, we can be rich and happy at the same time. Nantilah Mommy try dapat project besar sikit ya :)

Comments