Skip to main content

Never Learn One

It was one of the most fun sebutharga I've done. We rehashed articles, I rewrote our company profile in the most honest and sincere way, I rewrote our team's CV in the most appealing way with a touch of humour, we researched for articles and pictures... All because this was a totally different kind of sebutharga. The kind that wants you to show your creativity. And I sincerely had fun. Well until last night. Deep down inside, I knew this would happen, but I was hoping - nah, maybe not.

It did happen this morning, in the many ways I knew it would.

And when it did, I sat at my desk tapping my fingers, mirroring the each second the clock ticks. I slumped at my chair and curse myself - "I knew this would happen, why oh why did I let it happen?". Let's see... I was sick... I wanted to let someone else handle this... I wanted or hoped that people would have changed by now... Maybe I just wanted to test - what if I simply let things go out of my hands - what will happen? What if for once I am not fully in charged - what will happen?

We sealed the envelopes at 11.30am. Deep inside, it was the mock-up I would never dreamed of submitting. I could have just thrown the envelop on the floor and tell everyone - I'm not submitting this.

We did submit. From Bangi we took 35 minutes to reach Jalan Duta. I almost didn't get out of the car feeling so frustrated. But I dragged myself and with huge strides went up to 17th floor and submitted at 12.10pm. If the girl at the counter didn't give me the most beautiful smile and said "sempat lagi...", I would have come up to her and ask her a huge favour - "can you throw this in the dustbin please ".

But I learned something big today. Perseverance.

At times like this, there is this thing in our mind that keeps on nudging - "no, can't do... just let go... can never reach on time... just let go... what the hell, screw it...". I almost let my frustration ruled my actions today. Perhaps I was tired of all these recurring charades. Perhaps I was actually angry at myself for not handling this well. My fault.

But there is this man next to me who rushed out the office door with the seal at the envelope still dripping. Who drove at a respectable speed limit that our Viva can run with a GPS on his lap. Who cursed the wrong turn but still make a U-turn back to the right route. Who gently said, "Awak boleh tolong hantarkan?" as he parked at the side of the road. Who rushed to park the car and got this nice gentleman at the booth to give him free parking for the less than 5 minutes time I took to come back. Who in a synchronize act took a deep breath together with me. And in the car to finally say, "Saya tak sempat nak buang air tau pagi ni, jom pegi rumah Kak Long awak."

This morning he showed me the true meaning of perseverance. Of never giving up.

And how a stomachache can drive a person over the limits of his capabilities!

Comments