Skip to main content

A Morale Boost

Things have been hectic lately but with no money in sight. I've worked for 14 straight days since last week including weekend I wake up each morning with body ache. Work with no money is such a challenging task. There were a lot of times that I literally felt like drowning. At one time, the only money I had was this few hundreds in my ASB which I dare not touch. And finally ego put aside, I borrowed some cash from my sister and two brothers. My AIA cheque finally cleared and what a temporary relief - I used it up to pay for my staff salary (some partial payments) and most importantly - company phone and Internet line.

I pray payments will come in soon. We were promised next week. There is this bad habit by some clients (especially those in the Govt agencies) - they like to keep your invoices (or signed documentations) on their desks for God knows what reasons. Why can't they just forward it to the necessary people for processing? Those invoices will translate to payments and payments mean salary.

Anyway, after such crappy weeks, I had a pretty good week. Nope, money doesn't necessarily equal to happiness. I/We had a morale boost - two compliments in a week! Nice... A few days ago I had a meeting with this Dato', who is a lawyer, whom I did some work a couple of years ago, satisfactorily within timeline. He was interested to engage us to design this application for law firms but to set appointment with him is really difficult. We finally met up after about 1 year of ding-dongs. Apparently he already entrusted the job to an ex-lawyer turned IT entrepreneur. But then, he called us to see how we can compliment that guy's work. He was so sincere wanting to help us saying - "You people are such talented people". When asked on our current project - he was so proud (repeatedly congratulated us as if we won a 10mil project!) when I told him we actually "beat" my ex-employer for a project.

Today we had a meeting with a business partner introduced to us by my ex-boss. After a long discussion on prospects, with me high on two cups of strong coffee, we dwelt on our business principles. He said he really want us to work together because he believes in us that we are good and because we do things differently. However, whilst he is aggressive, we are too nice, he said. So, our partnership shall give good balance :).

It just felt nice to know that people do believe in us. Sincerely. It just makes all these hardships and sacrifices I've made simply worthwhile.

Comments