Skip to main content

Visit Cum Mini Reunion

Linda and I went to visit my friend Mas yesterday afternoon at SJMC. I was preparing myself for the worst. All morning images of my friend Mas and our memories together kept playing in my head. We were together at ATPN (84-88) and attended the same school - Sri Aman PJ. She's my best friend all those years. I remember we used to send each other letters written in unimaginable materials - sometimes tissue papers, "kertas turas", any kinds of papers the crazier the better. The letters she wrote on kertas turas (which we smuggle from science lab) would be in circles and I would complain of headache after I read them. These letters emerged at times of crisis - sometimes we had misunderstandings or merajuk or marah at each other, sometimes we wrote about our teen crushes, or even talk (mengumpat la tu) about another friend! By the end of our Form 5 year, each of us had this huge stack of little letters that we send each other.

Linda and me were at the door of her hospital room and I felt my heart beating so fast. I imagined her lying in bed so sick and weak. My hand reached the door handle and I heard loud voices. I opened the door and there lo and behold was a sight I so very much welcome any day - the happy faces (and loud voices) of friends from my hostel years - about 6 of them - surrounding a bed with Mas in the middle laughing her belly off. Immediately my anxiety just vanished into thin air and both of us joined the commotion. We hugged and kissed, made jokes and other than some red rashes on her cheeks, Mas looked happy and healthy.

She told us she started to get headaches that won't go away despite taking painkillers. She took a few tests and finally MRI and they found a tumor the size of a ping pong ball in her head. In fact, while she was enjoying our company, she told us her headache was so bad she felt like taking her eyeballs out.

She didn't tell anybody about her condition, but one of us saw her posting on Facebook (something about asking for forgiveness and hoping she'll get well) and called her up. The beauty of FB! Yesterday she posted back that she just realised that she actually have many true friends... Her operation is scheduled 8am tomorrow. We pray that everything will turn out well and she'll be healthy again. Ya Allah, make her healthy again.

Comments