Skip to main content

Nervousness is Selfish

I caught Oprah's episode on The New Earth tonight and I found my "a-ha" moment. You can read about the concept elsewhere about life's purpose and other stuff, but was astonished that I can relate to the "moment" by Billy Joel's wife. She was on Skype talking about her previous appearance on the show - how she was so nervous. Of course she got a big hug support from Oprah and her nervousness being "toned-down" by the supportive audience.

But she said that at one point during her nervousness, she realised that nervousness is a selfish energy. Being nervous is all about "me", not about other people but "me". At that time, she looked at the audience and thought that - "this is not about me, this is about them, they came to enjoy the show and I will give it to them". And she overcame her nervousness.

I watched that and this resounding "yes" appeared in my mind. I had that moment too! Remember I had to deliver a seminar in Kuantan to about 80 people? I couldn't sleep the night before. I was so nervous I had bees in my stomach. I had no appetite. And when I was standing at the rostrum, starting my introduction, looking down at the 80+ people, I thought I was going to faint because my voice was shaking. I then paused, took a very deep breath and looked at the people sitting at the front row trying to find a spot to focus. And suddenly this thought came to me - "I have something to offer these people, they came to listen to me, to learn from me. I can give that to these people - the knowledge that I can share".

Suddenly I felt I have the upper-hand - I have this "stuff" I'm going to feed them with and vow that at the end of the day, they will go back a few notch better and wiser about this whole business called Web management. Miraculously, the bees just disappeared.

That was my a-ha moment.

Comments