Skip to main content

Dream in English

This morning, after breakfast, on the way to my mother's place to send Aliyah, I told Aliyah that last night I dreamed I was riding a bicycle and then both tires went flat. She laughed aloud and then told me her dream - she became a fairy but with tiny wings so she couldn't fly, but then the wings started to grow bigger and bigger and she finally could fly! We both laughed at each others' dreams.

I then told her I usually dream in English and Aliyah was astonished. How come, she asked. I then remembered Enida's story about this grammar lecturer of ours back at PPP named Mr Santa Singh (proudly from BenTong). He told us in order to master English, we need to think in English and when we succeeded in thinking in that language, we will dream in English.

At that time I thought that was such a brilliant idea and since then I tried very hard to think in English hoping one fine night I will dream in English. That was my ultimate goal. And know what, I succeeded a few months later. And ever since, my dreams have always been in English. Well, most of the time!

So I told Aliyah exactly what Mr Santa told us - think in English. I told her it's good she sings English songs and can pick up the lyrics correctly (quite an achievement actually, now I found something good about Hannah Montana!), but now try to think in English and to tell me when she finally dreams in English.

Maybe that's the key to all these huuhaah about how to solve the problem of low English proficiency at rural areas, etc. Think and then Dream!

Comments