Skip to main content

Exactly How a Mommy Feels

I now have all Grey's Anatomy season 1 and season 2 episodes. Since I started watching the series quite late, I spent the last couple of weeks watching 1-2 episodes per day. Memang lah best. I love Bailey. She is simply - a Nazi. My favourite part is when she got pregnant and the Chief kept on tailing her about her residency. Finally she got really fed-up and said: "You blind moron! Can't you see I am pregnant! Men!". And then she said something about how men just drains one up even from inside a woman's womb. And she said this to her own boss! She's good. Even McDreamy said: "The Chief don't scare me. But Bailey scare me!", when he operated on Bailey's husband.

Anyway, just want to share one particular episode that sums up a mother's feeling in totality. It's about this woman with a teenage girl who's got lung cancer. She's dying but she put up a strong face in front of her daughter pretending she's not so sick. Alex the insensitive jerk told her his piece of mind. Actually, all the interns are very direct and insensitive. Anyway, in the end the woman finally opened up to her daughter and told the daughter that she's not getting better. The stuff she said to her daughter about being a mother strike me - "that someday you are going to have a baby, and you are going to be overwhelmed by this life that you are responsible for and you will think that everything you do is wrong...you are going to fuss about what she eats... but it doesn't matter... what your kid becomes... because at the end of the day what matters is that your kid is happy...".

Many, many times I feel I fail as a mother. I always think I'm not good enough, not there enough, not compassionate enough... That I should have done things other ways. That I worry too much. But at the end of the day, when I put her to bed and she's all happy and sleepy and naughty, perhaps I did a good job for the day.

Comments