Skip to main content

My New Year's Eve

What a way to spend 2015 New Year's eve... I spent it in front of the staff of Unit Hasil Serdang Hospital while registering my father to be admitted. What a way to start the new year.

My youngest brother took my father for a check-up at Klinik Kesihatan and was then asked to proceed to Serdang Hospital . Apparently of similar problem encountered 2 years ago. After we closed shop, I called him. He just finished consulting with the doctor and my father had to be admitted. I had this tugging feeling that I might be needed, so we went over. Alhamdulillah for the decision because my brother left to send his kids back, and my father was alone. He needs someone close by due to his prostate problem. He urinates frequently and the emergency ward is not a "real ward" - noisy, hectic, with nobody to tend to him.

I was there from 10pm, going around the lobby to buy him food but all the shops had closed. Hubby then bought fried rice from the stall outside the hospital. Meanwhile, I was with my father at the emergency ward trying to get him to be admitted and helping him wee-wee. Quite funny actually (well, not funny for him, of course). Just after I arrived, he wanted to pee and frantically reached for the kidney saucer filled with medical stuff. I dumped the contents and gave it to him all the while thinking how on earth would he pee on that container. Well, he managed. After helping him clean up, a good 20 minutes later he wanted to pee again. This time I handed him a 100Plus empty bottle. I think it's a better container than the shallow kidney saucer. After that instance, I went around asking the nurses for a urine container. The 3rd time, he was at ease. I could see how uncomfortable and painful he was to be in that condition.

The arrangement to get him admitted was with some issues. A stupid SOP. For him to get into 1st class, he needs to supply photocopy of his "Kad Bersara". Not a problem if it was not 11pm on New Year's eve. Another alternative was to pay RM800 (with the reply that I won't be getting the money back so soon because there are other procedures to follow) but I still have to supply the photocopy the next morning. The staff apologised profusely saying he's only following procedure. He advised that getting the photocopy was the best step. Hubby agreed to go back to our shop to photocopy using our printer. He got back just before midnight, hence my spending 00:01am 2015 in front of the Unit Hasil guy arranging for my father's admission.

After that it was quite a breeze. Everybody was helpful and nice. On the way to the ward upstairs, I could hear the sounds of fireworks. I looked at my father on the gurney being pushed by a nurse and said to myself - "what a way to start 2015!". I then had to run around to get a new urine container at the ward just in time for another round of wee-wee. Sigh... pity my father... We went back just after 1am after my brother came back. By then, all three of us were exhausted. Yup, Aliyah was with us too.

Today... I'm still tired from last night. My throat and chest are feeling scratchy. I started coughing last night. I hope I won't get another coughing "session".

Comments