Skip to main content

My Parents

One bad thing about me is that I seldom give my parents money. Once in a while - Raya or any special occasions - I do give. And the reason is also a bad one - because I don't think they need money. Most of the time, I'm the one who needs the cash more compared to them. My parents never complain. They never expect money from their children. If dapat, alhamdulillah. My father especially would never ask money from his kids, no matter how much he might need it.

To add to that, I always "order" stuff from the Pasar Tani from my father. It is his routine to call me at around 3.30pm every Thursday to ask me what I would like to have. Normally I would get him to buy me chicken (2 quarters - thighs only), some beef, and satay or meehoon soup. I will then come over after office to get them, all well packed in a basket. And I will in the end get - 4 quarters of chicken thighs (equals to one chicken), at least 1/2 kilo of beef, satay and meehoon soup, apam balik and kuihs. And don't try to pay him. He will never accept or in the end, give the money to Aliyah.

I, however, have my own way of paying back my parents. I cook the stuff for them. So, within that week, I will cook the chicken or the beef - usually curry or gulai and give them. Normally, whatever I cook at home, I always make extras. It can be as simple as nasi lemak, fried meehoon or spaghetti. And my mother especially will be very happy to receive the food.

This morning, I went over to give my mother some leftover nasi lemak and sambal ikan bilis. She looked at the tupperware with twinkling eyes and said, "hui, sedapnyaaa...". And she will go on (and on, and on) about the last dish I gave her - "kau masak ayam hari tu sedap, tak pedas sangat, tak masin sangat, habis Abah kau lantak (errr... makan)".

Seronok sangat rasa kat hati bila Mak cakap macam tu...

Comments