Skip to main content

Aliyah the Moral Police

This morning I was having roti canai breakfast with Aliyah at our usual place. In the midst of eating, I saw her stare at a boy sitting next to us, and then I smelled something burning. Seemed that the boy, of about 5 years old, was burning a tissue paper using his father's cig lighter. I looked at the father, who then asked for the lighter from the boy and then walked away to pay.

Aliyah gave me this uncomfortable look and asked, "Mommy, kenapa ayah dia bagi dia main api? Dia kan kecik lagi?". I asked her, "Dangerous tak main api?". She replied, "Dangerous lah!". So, I sized the opportunity to stress on how dangerous fire is and other related stuff. Then she asked me again, "Kenapa ayah dia bagi dia main api?". Oh wow, that I don't know how to answer. Aliyah believe adults always do the right thing, so how can I explain what a jerk that guy was for allowing his son to play with his cig lighter?

Just a few weeks ago I was having dinner with Aliyah at, again, our usual place when I saw a little boy running out of the restaurant, crossing the road towards a car. I looked around for the parents, and then saw a lady with 2 other boys, about 20 metres away, yelling that little boy that he's got the wrong car. And that lady was on the other side of the road! The little boy than ran, crossed the road again to his mother and then ran and crossed the road again to the correct car. When the car reversed, I saw the father at the driver's seat. All the while he was in the car smoking while his wife let loose the 3 boys!

When the drama was over, I saw Aliyah's face looked alarmed, like she couldn't believe what she was seeing. "Kenapa ibu dia biar anak dia lintas jalan? Kenapa tak pegang tangan anak dia? Tu kan dangerous!".

It's good that she understands what we have been teaching her. But then how can you explain when other adults take such things lightly.

Comments