Skip to main content

Books: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

As with other Murakami books, I have read it twice, back-to-back. This book - Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World - is in same leagues as Kafka on the Shore and The Wind-up Bird Chronicles, with elements of fantasy, reality, comedy...

Here's a quote that struck me and made me wonder about life. It was a thought by the main character whose life was going to so-called end in a matter of hours.

"Were the stars out when I left the house last evening? Stars? Who remembers stars? Come to think of it, had I even looked at the stars recently? Had the stars been wiped out of the sky three months ago, I wouldn't have known..."

We always forget about the little but significant things. We go about our lives without pausing much to take a few steps back and look at things. We actually need these little pauses to remind oneself where we are in this world, whether what we are doing is worth it, etc.

That night I went out to the lawn and looked up at the stars...

Comments