Skip to main content

Another Book: Kafka on the Shore

After reading some mediocre pieces, I have this urge to read something thought provoking but not heavy. And what a gem I found - Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. I was mesmerised by this book, drawn to its style of writing and in love with its story. Since I have always liked Japanese culture, naturally I found the book amazing. One quote I found by readers of the book is that "reading Murakami is like going into therapy". So very true. Opening the book and reading the beautiful words are like being seeped (sucked is too strong a word) into this world of two wonderful main characters following each of their journey and adventure. Two intertwined characters who never crossed path.

I love the style of writing - it had a calming effect even when Murakami was describing something gross it just doesn't snatch you from your peace state of mind but simply takes you along in the journey like going slowly down a river, unhurrid and uninterrupted.

The conversations between Nakata and the cats are simply brilliant and funny at the same time. And there're a lot to learn from that character about life. Oshima is another interesting character. His opinions about books and culture are an eye-opener for me. Music, classics, art...

I finished the last word lusting for more. The ending is very much whether you actualy "get" the story or not. I don't know. I have many questions left unanswered but it doesn't really bother me. This is one story that you don't need any exact ending being told to you. Just like knowing someone, there are still secrets and unanswered questions about the person, but you continue being companions.

I immediately start the book all over again, but at a more leisurely manner. And along the way, I might find the answers to my questions, or I might not.

Comments