Skip to main content

Orang Melayu Suka Complain

I was on the way to send Sarah to school yesterday when I heard on Era discussions about minimum salary one should be getting. It's the morning topic and the two deejays where receiving phone calls and also reading SMSes. As predicted, when it comes to salary, nobody would say that they get enough.

There was one lady who lives in JB citing that she gets only RM900 of basic salary and she's been working for her company for 8 years with only about RM20 increment a year - itu pun for the last 2 years tak ada increment. The SMSes being read were all complaints that salaries are just not enough. There are lots to pay - house rent, car loan, and many others don't know what. In summary - nobody was satisfied.

Now tell me - who in their right mind would say their salary is enough? Everybody would say they deserve more. The more you get, the more you believe you deserve! Why? Because the more you get, the more you spend, the less balance you have end of the month. When the balance is not enough, demand for more!

Anyway, what I gathered from the radio show was that most of the people who called or SMSed were those from the low-income level. They earn less that RM1,000 a month. And most are men. Now, here's what I think - masa kecik-kecik dulu tak nak belajar rajin-rajin, masuk university, sekarang dah besar, tak dapat kerja elok, gaji kecik apasal nak komplen pulak?. Look, I've seen this kind of people on the street - from my school days right until now. These are the people who were never serious in school - they are naughty, they cut school, they don't do their homework, they don't study for their exams. What do they do? Duduk tepi longkang main gitar, kacau anak dara orang, memekak malam-malam, habiskan duit mak-bapak, tak nak belajar. If their friends study, teruk kena kutuk. Girls pulak - asyik bercinta, gayut kat telefon, talk about boys all day long. Now that they have become adults, what do they become? Kerja kilang la, jadi office boy la, jadi kerani la, now lagi nak komplen.

I know not all are like that, maybe their families were not well-off and couldn't send them to further their studies. But many are losers from the very beginning. At that time they thought they were so cool. Now, padan la muka.

I'm really angry at these kind of people. Orang Melayu semua pulak tu! Like the famous saying by Dr M - Melayu mudah lupa. They forget that their destiny was in their hands. All they had to do was change. But no, they didn't and now they forget that whatever outcome life has to offer was the consequence of their previous actions.

I work hard to be where I am. I was studying for my Masters when I got only RM400 a month of salary. I worked 3 part-time jobs to pay for my studies. I borrowed money from my boss to pay for my tuition fees. I packed nasi lemak cooked by my mother every morning so that I can have it for lunch. Citibank called me 3 times a day asking me to pay my credit card bills until I cry. I paid my car instalment every 3 months because I had to save up the money. Life was tough. Unless you are born with rich parents or received some inheritence from long lost uncle out of the blue - then you have to work for it. So, if you receive only RM900 a month, think back. Did you work hard? Did you study hard? If you do, then perhaps you should get a better job. But if you simply stay there and bitch about your boss, then that's where you will stay for the rest of your life. Because you deserve it.

Comments