Skip to main content

So Little Time

How many waking hours a day do I spend with Sarah? On average 5 hours a day. One hour before work and about another four hours at night, if I'm lucky - if she doesn't doze off early. Only 5 hours? What kind of a mother spend such little time with her kid?

There's so much I'm missing. Every day my mother would tell me - oh, she did this and that today, she followed us to the market and bought this and that, she was so funny today she said this and did that... Does she do any this and that with me? I don't know. If I notice something new Sarah would say she already did that with Atok or Wan the other day. OK, so that's not new then...

One thing she's really good at nowadays is complain that hubby and I come back from work late. Not really that late actually but to her 7pm is way, way off. We should be home before the cartoon Mr Bean starts. That's her way of telling time.

Every night, when I kiss that sleeping angelic face of hers I wish I can be with her always - caring for her, taking care of her, feed her, play with her, read to her and teach her... everything a mother should do instead of thrusting the responsibilities to my old mother.

Comments