Skip to main content

Another Book: Sophie's Bakery for the Broken Hearted

This is a gem found by accident - it is not in bestseller list, written by an unknown - but on impulse I picked it up anyway. A truly delightful book written in the kind of style and language I dream of writing. If I were to write a book, this is the kind of book I would produce. In a way, I feel connected to this book because it illustrates the kind of mind I actually have but not known by anybody, even my hubby I think. I am a little crazy in my head, just that I don't do crazy things. And more often than not, I always pride in having this bit of craziness as it just differentiates me from other women.

Sophie's Bakery for the Broken Hearted is written by Lolly Winston - debut novel. The name itself suggest what kind of writing the book has. Lolly... lollypop... It is about a woman's life after the death of her husband at the age of 36. And how the death drove her into depression and a little bit of insanity. Sophie's life took a downturn - from being a PR manager to being fired (advised to take 3 months leave actually), then selling off her house and moving to a place where she is a stranger and starting her life from the very bottom - becoming a waitress. Even that she sucks at doing and she got demoted as a salad girl. Chance has it that she got entrusted (or forced actually) to become pastry chef in the kitchen and discovered her gift at baking. Along the way she met new people in her life - a teenage girl where she acted the part of a big sister and a boyfriend, not to mention hillarious and disasterous events.

At first I felt angry at Sophie. Why would someone simply fall into such state of depression? My first thought was perhaps her lack of faith or religion. Maybe... But she slowly started to pick up the pieces and move on. Slowly... And when she achieved the little results, I simply felt proud. In the end when she successfully opened her own bakery, I in turn felt motivated. Here is a woman doomed into insanity but one thing she dared to do - to make a decision - and she actually has the guts to do. Yes, things fall apart, life is not so rosy, but she managed to change not only her life but other people's lives.

I end reading the book with a happy thought. It left me with a sense of determination that I can do things and succeed. I think I relate very much to this book because I picked it up after I submitted my resignation letter. I was depressed - letting go a job I love and exposing myself to an unknown fate. But if someone like Sophie can do it (yes, yes, she's only a fictional character, I know), so can I. I believe I am a better person and able to achieve more.

Thank you Sophie...

Comments