Skip to main content

If He Were Around...

There is this ginger cat at my mother's house. He's about 1 year old I think. When he was a kitten, he was fat and round and always scared of humans. Along with his other 2 siblings, they were always in the drain at the side of the house. The drain is usually dry. But then, during the rainy season end last year, the drain at times would be filled with water. The 2 other siblings didn't make it, only the ginger kitten survived. Barely. I saved him from the drain twice. He hung at the side of the drain in the rushing cold water.

My Kak Long calls him Boy. My Angah calls him Bulat. At the time, he was not "friendly" with us, hanging around always with his mother Si Putih. About 6 months ago, a dog came in the night and ravaged the mother. The ginger survived but traumatized. From that day on, he opened up to us humans. I guess because he was scared of the dog. He couldn't eat in peace, always cautiously looking behind his back.

The name Bulat finally stuck on him even though it doesn't suit him anymore. He's now healthy, long and lean. He's very clean despite spending his time playing under the trees. And very naughty too. Whenever I come in the mornings, more often than not, he would be waiting. And he'll be jumping up and down like a dog excitedly. He would always try to sneak into the house, and I would always carry him out again. He knows that I would sit down and have a chat with my Angah after we are done with my mother. He would sit in front of the door, look at us and "talk". More of "merungut" actually. He would then pretend to sleep, if there's nothing interesting going on around him, like birds hopping around, or squirrels running at the top of the gates.

And when I walk out to go home, he would get excited again. I would need to scratch his stomach and head. Play with him for a while, let him playfully bite my hands. He would jump and prance sometimes like a horse. Funny cat. Then I would tell him that I need to go home, bye for now, and see you tomorrow. And after some time he actually understands. He would follow me to my car and when I close the door, he would go back to the porch and watch me drive away.

Why am I writing about Bulat? Because after Maghrib just now, after I made a doa for my arwah father, a thought just crossed my mind about him who loved cats. And I thought of the ginger cat who now lives at his house. And I thought what a wonderful pair they would make. My father would have loved to have Bulat as a pet. Bulat would be perfect. The kind of cat which would accompany my father do his gardening work around the house. I imagine Bulat would be close with my father to take a nap in my father's lap, or accompany him in the kitchen during meal time, or wake him up for Subuh. Just like his previous cats he loved so much before.

With the anniversary of his demise coming in 2 weeks' time, his passing still breaks my heart. And I miss him more than ever. And today, after my doa, I said out aloud - Ya Allah, can you tell my father that there's a cat named Bulat living in his house now. Tell him he would love that cat. Bulat is his kind of cat. Because I know. Tell him they would have both make a wonderful and cute pair. And just like Baby and Bobok, Mak hates Bulat :). And please tell him that I miss him so much.

I need this cry :(.

Comments