Skip to main content

Take a Drive

I have this disagreement about driving today. Not going to elaborate on that though. But my point was - be humble in everything that you do. That includes driving.

Whenever I get behind the wheels, I have three things in mind. And those three things are the reminders for me to (try to, at times) be humble:

1. I am a mother. I need to stay alive as long as I can so that I can raise my daughter. I can never ever imagine how her life would be if I am not around. That's why I don't really care what people think of my driving. And I don't really care how other people drive.

2. I have a daughter. I need to make sure she is always safe and sound while I am behind the wheels. It doesn't pay to follow your anger or pride or whatever you call it and risk the lives of the people you love. Yes, I do get angry with stupid drivers on the road. But then, let the stupids be stupids. I have better things to think about. There were a lot of times when I was driving the Volvo last time that I had Kancils with huge exhaust pipes coughing black smoke shaking and accelerating to their last breath trying to overtake me, then have the cheek to look and make stupid faces just because I was not fast enough (for them). Know what, I can just slam on the pedal and you can eat dirt, but did I do that? No. Because I'd rather spend the time talking to my daughter by my side, or singing Barney songs, or reciting doa together than join such morons.

3. I have a 75-year-old father who still drives around. He is still a good driver, but he has lost that "touch". There are times that he's engrossed in his own thoughts like trying to find parking space or showing us something that he's not really aware of the traffic. I cannot bear the thoughts of some people honking him or calling him names or giving him looks just because he might be slow or unsure. So, I don't do that to other people, and I hope people don't do that to my father.

Be humble. Always.

Comments