Skip to main content

My Story: My Cat Bobok

I just watched Grey's Anatomy re-run of the season 2 final episode. My heart was touched by the scene where Meredith and Derek had to put their dog, Doc, to sleep. I experience exactly that some years ago, it was not as beautiful as that scene obviously with McDreamy giving those dreamy looks to Mer who look ever so gorgeous... About 6 years ago I lost my beloved cat to kidney failure.

His name was Bobok. It was supposed to be Dobok meaning fat but along the way my parents slipped the "D" to "B". He was just a few weeks old when I got him from my sister and right after I became the cat's Mommy. I took care of him, fed him, toilet train him, and he even slept with me. He was such an entertaining company and we loved him dearly. He became my father's best friend. They went to our kebun durian together. You can imagine how cute they looked - my father cycling to the kebun with the cat trotting behind. My father would look for durians and Bobok would go chase butterflies. Then they would go back together.

The first thing I would do after coming back from work was to look for him, hugged him and kissed him. He simply loved the attention. On my wedding day, he was forbidden to enter my room - his room. Hubby carried him out that night when he finally managed to slip in. The next morning, hubby found his leather slippers wet with Bobok's urine. Of all the slippers and shoes at the house, Bobok managed to sniff out hubby's and wet them in revenge. He hated my hubby. I think he was jealous.

I was 3 months pregnant when Bobok fell sick. Just overnight he became weak and blind. My pregnancy was bad but I managed to take him to the UPM vet. He stayed there and we visit him every day. That Saturday he got worst. The vet called early in the morning saying he's suffering and advised to put him to sleep. I went there with hubby straight away. He still recognised my voice despite being blind. I remember his final moments. He kept on snuggling and feeling my hands. I believed he knew. I caressed him, put him in my arms, hugged him tight and kissed him. I don't really care that I was pregnant and if kissing a sick cat can do any harm. Bobok simply stayed there enjoying the embrace that he missed. I cried like crazy.

I held his hands when the vet injected him, just touching his paws. He became limp and slowly drifted to sleep. The vet asked whether I wanted to wait until he passed on and bring his body back. But I declined and went home. I didn't want to be present when he died and having to bring him back is too much to bear.

My father was a bit disappointed I didn't bring him back, he wanted to give him a proper burial. I felt guilty and sorry for him. That furry guy was part of the family who brought us so much joy. But that was the last cat I had. No more. The heart break was too much.

Now Aliyah is just so crazy about cats. We even have cat food at our house even though we don't have any cats. It's for her to feed stray cats that pass by our house.

Comments

Anonymous said…
i laughed to your cockroaches story then it bring tears to my eyes reading your story of the cat. would be nice to see the time ur father cycling and the cat trailing him... would be a picture of the year.
Anonymous said…
isk..isk.. sedihnya..!!
Aniza said…
Hi Bahaman,
Tu lah, tak terfikir nak ambil gambar masa tu.

Hi Kimkam,
Sedih oooo... huwaaa....