Skip to main content

Movie: The Devil Wears Prada

My last "visit" to the cinema was last year's Pirates of the Caribbean: A Dead Man's Chest. Didn't have time to go and also didn't find any movie worth to watch. Hubby downloaded The Devil Wear's Prada and with Sarah watching Tom & Jerry, Spongebob Squarepants and Dragon Booster all day, I watched the movie on the notebook.

I'm not really into this kind of story actually. High fashion and too-good-looking-women wearing clothes that costs my whole year's salary is not my cup of tea. But surprisingly, amidst the scary Cruella de Ville kinda boss, lame foursome friendship and loads of beautiful clothes, I actually like the movie.

I love the part when Andy managed to get the Harry Potter manuscript, got it photocopied (2 copies and nicely bounded for her boss' twin daughters), couriered to the copies to them (the twins were shown reading the manuscripts on a train) and threw one copy on Miranda's table along with a cup of coffee just in time before her deadline. She is efficiently one step ahead.

If there is any lesson learned in this movie, it is thinking ahead. Making sure you are one step ahead. And doing your job the best you can. Fortunately I have never had such a boss. But I actually don't agree that Miranda is evil. She is already up there in her own level of achievement. So, it's only natural that she can't stand working with people who don't or can't use their brains. She might not acknowledge her staff's efforts because that is expected of them. But when she's satisfied, she "rewarded" people with those few liners with her straight face that might not sound like an encouragement but enough for one to know that he or she has done a good job.

To learn, and I mean fast, that's the kind of boss that can keep you on your toes. I had the pleasure of working with one or two bosses who kept me on my toes (now I consider it as "pleasure", but at that time it was "hell"). And I must say I learned twice as fast due to them.

Comments

dcharmed said…
Owh have you u watched the golden globe award? Meryl Streep actually won the award for that movie...

Suke sangat part when she said "That's all!"... hahahha
Aniza said…
Yup. She's amazing. She speaks in this sing-a-song tone and connects 10 things one after another, all in one breath. I can imagine how scared her assistants are especially when she looks at you like you are so stupid.
Anonymous said…
not Pleasure Putting Pressure on People. It rhymes =;)