Skip to main content

What's Wrong With Having Only One Child?

I really don't understand people. Right after you get married, people will ask you when you'll be having a baby. Try delaying having a baby and people start talking. Then, when you finally have a baby, they will ask when the next one's coming. Try delaying having the next one and they talk nasty. 3 years later, if you still don't have the second one, they will start to give you these nasty looks - as if you are doing something wrong. 4 years down the road and no baby in sight, they will still talk nasty and give you a pity look - as if you fail as a woman. I really don't get it - What is bloody wrong with having only one child?

Some people want lots of kids, some people want only 2, and it really amazed me that those are acceptable by the society. But having only one kid is like out of the norm. Worst - it's like a sin! It really makes me angry that people can't accept other people's choices. I have my mother-in-law saying nasty things behind me about us having only Sarah. Why can't she just leave me alone? I can list out all the nasty things she said that really hurt my feelings:
- "Kesian Sarah terpaksa main dengan adik orang lain pasal dia tak ada adik..."
- "Kau simpan duit banyak-banyak pun buat apa. Kau bukan ada anak lain. Anak kau satu je."
- "Anak dia memang satu je. Dulu mengandung lagi tapi tak lekat. Sayang je." (she said this to another makcik with that nasty tone and eyes bulging, like I don't exist! I was right there infront of her!).
- "Sarah nak adik tak? Kalau nak pegi mintak mummy."
There are many more incidents. Why is she being so mean? I don't even ask her to help take care of Sarah, not even once!. And it doesn't help that hubby never explains to her that we are happy with having only one child.

It's not that I don't want another child. I do. But a child doesn't come to this world free and cheap. I need to think about expenses - with our current financial state having a baby is a no-no. Then who will take care of the baby? We don't have a maid. We need to find a suitable babysitter. I can't put a name to my head on the best candidate. And most importantly, I just don't feel like having another baby now. I just love having Sarah and I love her too much.

Know what I wish at this moment? That I can simply slap the next person who ask me the question. Of course I am too nice a person to do such a thing. See - I am always a nice person. It's the people around me who are cruel.

So, I'm creating this FAQ and dedicating it to all those nosy and cruel people out there who can't do anything better with their lives than asking me when I'll be having another baby. Here's to you, enjoy these and the next time you do ask me the question, I might consider that slap.

Aniza's FAQ:
Q1: "Bila nak ada anak satu lagi ni?"
A1: "Apasal? Kau nak tolong jaga ke?"

Q2: "Bila Sarah nak ada adik ni?"
A2: "Bila kau boleh bagi aku duit RM100,000 buat bayar duit hospital, susu, baju, katil, stroller, bayar yuran sekolah, buku sekolah, baju, kasut, beg, yuran periksa sampai la umur dia 17 tahun. Bila boleh bagi? Bila? Bila? Bila?"

Q3: "Apasal kau tak nak anak lagi?"
A3: "Pasal aku suka dengar orang mulut celupar macam kau tanya aku bila aku nak ada anak lagi. Tanya lah lagi. Cukup 5 kali kau tanya, penampar pulak naik kat muka. Nak rasa?"

Q4: "Kesian Sarah tak ada adik, tak da kawan nak main."
A4: "Bagus ada anak sorang tapi baik macam dia. Daripada ada anak ramai macam kau tapi perangai semua macam setan. Betul tak?"

Comments

kimkam said…
hahhaha.. ni betol punya hangin nihh.. relek..relek.. :)