Skip to main content

Separation Anxiety

We stopped sleeping on a proper bed when Sarah was about 6 months old. One night she almost fell off the bed and since then we sleep on just the mattress. About 2 years ago we bought a single bed mattress and put it beside our queen-size mattress. That's a huge sleeping space for the 3 of us. While the smaller mattress is supposed to be for Sarah, she always ends up sleeping with me. No matter how big the space is, eventually she would seek me out and huddle next to me. Hubby will either sleep on the smaller mattress, or more often than not, on the comforter in front of the TV. Hmm... not a good sleeping arrangement for a married couple.

However, I just love sleeping with Sarah. She smells so good, she sleeps like an angel. I often spend my insomniac time watching her sleeping, listening to her breathing, sometimes catching her little laugh or smile while she's dreaming. At times when she abruptly wakes up, I will always be beside her to comfort her. We are always hugging each other, sometimes just a touch to make sure we are still together.

One fine day a few weeks ago we bought a new bed. It was supposed to be a look-and-see session to survey sofas for our new home, but hubby ended up buying this bed with this thick mattress. Some pocket spring kind of mattress that's supposed to be good for the backbone. So, we try to use this bed as a reason to a new sleeping arrangement - to train Sarah to sleep in separate room. So, old queen mattress retired to the store room. Single mattress moved to the living room. New bed in the bedroom. Ours is such a small house so hubby plans for Sarah to sleep in the living room. Well, she actually always does that, and we will carry her in after she falls asleep. Now that Sarah understands the new sleeping arrangement, time to execute.

Day 1: All of us slept in the living room. I was not so well and was too sleepy to get up and sleep on the new bed.
Day 2: Sarah and me slept on the new bed, hubby slept in the living room. I don't remember why.
Day 3: Sarah slept in the living room, hubby and me slept on the new bed. I can't really sleep. Hubby's presence felt so foreign. Where's that baby smell I love so much...
Day 4: Sarah slept in the living room, hubby and me slept on the new bed. I jumped at the smallest sound Sarah made. Is she OK? Pity her sleeping alone.
Day 5: Sarah slept in the living room, hubby and me slept on the new bed. Sarah woke up in the middle of the night. I comforted her, slept with her for a while and went back to bed. 5 minutes later I heard her coming into the room. She climbed up the bed and snuggled in the middle. Ahh... that smell is back. That little bundle is back. I slept peacefully.
Day 6: Sarah decides she doesn't want to sleep alone. She wants to sleep with mommy. She said when we move to our new house, then she will sleep in her own room - promise!. Sarah and me slept on the new bed, hubby slept in the living room. The End!

Comments