Skip to main content

Down to Pennies

Life really is a cycle. One time you are up, and the next thing you know you are crushed. I started working in 1995. Let's forget the nightmare of being a teacher - my first "real" job was as a sub-editor with Computimes. I was paid around RM1K+. It was good pay for me especially after finishing university and having no debt or mortgage. Life was really good then with nothing serious to think about. It was only work and work and more work. After work will be eat outs or movies. That's about it.

After that the credit cards started to come, and then car loan, plus other stuff like life insurance. My second job paid me quite well (at that particular time). End of the month there will still be enough for little things like a new blouse or pair of shoes. Then disaster striked. The economic downfall. My RM2K++ was reduced to only RM250 for about 6 months. After that was unemployment for about a couple of months. Imagine surviving on only that. Life was tough then. Then things got a little bit better. With 3 part-time jobs and a Masters degree in the making, I was all out for them. I was single so time was on my side.

When year 2000 came, things got much better. I was back on full-employment with better pay. The pay got better and better till last year when I decided to quit my job and work free-lance. The reduced pay was supposed to sustain me, but the cycle was back. The economy has gone bonkers again. And here I am with just pennies left in my purse. My pay is about 2 months delayed. Any payments we got from Dextra is "recycled" to be used for other things - Linda's salary, bills, trainer's fees, etc. The money I put out as advanced is still no where to be seen. When the payments do come, I always have to put other things on priority first.

Again... is all these worth it?Ok, it's a really depressing time for me. With Linda hospitalised with dengue fever and I'm alone here doing the admin job I realised one can never rely too much on an individual. I know Linda relies on me for her monthly salary. But I rely on her too. The 2 trainings set for mid of this month look like they will not materialise. So, this month is out. Next month is short due to the Ramadhan. And the 2 months after that is just as unproductive.

Alone, down, stressed out and penniless...

Comments