Skip to main content

Merdeka Ke Kita Ni?

What a week, what a month! I'm not talking about myself or my little buddle of joy, I'm talking about our TV stations. I mean putting Mawi & Ina in front of live camera and getting them to pour their hearts out was a bit too much. OK, I'm not a fan of Mawi. He's full of hype and Meastro is milking his sweat (and so-so voice) like nobody business. What aura? I fail to see him glowing any spark of interest. (My Kak Long will kill me for this remark!) And as for Ina - Ina who? What has become of our local entertainment industry? Anybody and everybody can now be a writer and singer as long as you are connected (or previously connected) to someone popular.

I heard the interview on radio, after about 2 minutes of corny love stories (oh, he's my first love and I can never forget him - what crap!) I switched stations. The best description of Ina's interview was like what Aimy's husband said: "Dia bukan saja memalukan diri sendiri tapi memalukan semua orang perempuan". What a disgrace to all Muslim women.

And while the two were telling the whole world their love story (dah la tak romantik pun), another couple was celebrating their marital union also broadcasted live on national TV. What can I say about the wedding of year of Siti Nurhaliza and Datuk K - "sungguh sederhana, bukan RM12 juta, tak sampai pun RM1 juta". I must admit it was a fairytale wedding - beautiful garden-themed pelamin where the whole convention room was draped in fragrant flowers, Siti in her don't-know-how-many wedding dresses that cost don't-dare-to-imagine how much, the jewellery, hair pieces, etc. Yes, very, very impressive.

And all these extravagant pouring out of money by a Muslim couple who related their lavish event to some Islamic references. RM22,222.22 refers to the time taken for the holy Quran to be fully completed or something - sure or not? Check lah dulu before making such statements. And all these extravagant spending while people in Palestine, Lubnan and many other Muslim countries are suffering, women, children and old people are murdered. If only the money spend were used to help those people I pray to Allah that the couple to be blessed with great wealth, great love and great life for all eternity. If only they did that lah.

So, who's making the money? TV stations with huge, huge advertising revenues. The advertisements took what, 5 minutes intervals each?

OK, bukan lah nak dengki or whatever, just dah tak larat nak layan.

Anyway, today, at the eve of Malaysia's 49th Merdeka celebrations, I wonder if we, Malaysians, especially the Malays are really merdeka in the real sense. I'm not saying I am so good and patriotic and what-nots. I spent hours reading forums bashing up Siti Nurhaliza like I have nothing better to do. But seriously, I believe this is too much and too stupid. The world is crumbling down. People are at war, people kill each other, some people are starving, some people are living in tents, some children are working like slaves when they are supposed to be in school... But here we are celebrating this old guy who divorced his wife of 20 years to marry a 27-year-old woman. Get real.

And tonight, thousands of Malay youths will be flocking the cities to watch live concerts, waving the Malaysian flag, jumping up and down to the deafening music. Do a quick check among the human crowd will ya, make sure no youngsters are smoking pot, or no teenage girl is being raped right there while the whole crowd is screaming "Merdeka!".

Kita belum lagi merdeka.

Comments