Skip to main content

Making a Choice

As my childhood was a bit blur, I can't really remember whether I was given the opportunity or even "luxury" of making choices. I think decisions were always being shoved into my face - right till which university and course I was to enroll. I would very much like Sarah to be able to make her own decisions or choices, with us her parents giving guidance.

I always ask her what she wants to eat or drink, getting her to make her own choice, having her own say. If we go out shopping, she gets to choose what clothes she would like to buy, the colour, the style... That explains the stacks of T shirts and pants in her drawer - she doesn't like girlish dresses even though I'm always dying to buy her.

Anyway, still on the topic, I'm fasting today and don't feel like going through the one-hour journey to work. The moment Sarah woke up, the first thing she said was: "Mummy pilih - hari ni Mummy nak kerja ke, nak cuti". She wanted me to make a choice and the choice expected is obviously slanted very much to her liking. So I said, "Sarah pilih". She said no, she wanted me to make the choice. So I said, "Mummy pilih - cuti". She was so happy and started planning what to do for the day - doing colourings, watching cartoons, etc.

It's the little things like this that makes my day...