Skip to main content

LOTR: One of Her Favourite Movies

Parents always underestimate their kids. I'm sure every one of us has experienced this before. I remember my mother told my elder brother to tell me (she didn't want to tell me herself) not to go to a camping trip because she said I am "lembik" and wouldn't survive the hardship. And I remember my father told me to get myself a job as a lecturer because he didn't think I can get a better job elsewhere in this dog-eat-dog corporate world. I proved them wrong. Not only I went to that camping trip to Pulau Rebak, Langkawi where I experienced one of most memorable time of my life where I almost lost 2 friends (they almost drowned!), I discovered that I am the kind of person who can achieve things if I set my mind to it. Two friends almost drowned, the rest of the team floated to sea because the strong current pulled them out and amazingly I was the only one who managed to get myself back to the beach. How? Beats me. I only remembered struggling, and kicking until my feet touched sand and using my height to full advantage by tip-toeing back to shore. And as for my father - I got a job as a sub-editor with NST. He stopped acknowledging me ever since I resigned as a school teacher. He only started talking back to me after I showed him my byline in Computimes. I guess he saw a little bit of himself in me as he used to write books and drama scripts in is younger days.

Anyway, that was my story. Now, my story on Sarah is that she is the only toddler that I know who loves The Lord of the Rings. It started with Fellowship of the Ring being aired on HBO. She was about 2 years old plus then and I didn't want her to watch it because of the violence. Furthermore, I don't think she would understand the complicated movie especially being a fantasy. But then, when the movie started, her eyes were glued to the TV, her mouth gaped in fascination and she started to ask questions about the storyline. She started to relate to the characters eg calling Gandalf - Atok Gandalf, Aragon - Uncle Aragon and Arwen - Kakak Arwen. She loved the Hobbits, obviously especially Frodo.

She has seen all three movies - the extended version, mind you as I have all the three DVDs. She was even able to detect the additional scenes. She also watched behind the scenes - the extra 2 CDs which I myself have not watched yet. Not only that, she also loves the game on PS2.
Amazing for a girl her age. I must learn not to underestimate her anymore in future.

Comments