Skip to main content

D-day on a May Day

5th of May 2013 - a significant day in history. I went out to vote, with the rest of the 80% who came out, the highest number of voters since 1964. The last election, I took my mother. This time around, I tumpang my Angah. We decided to go at noon - hopefully by then the crowd has lessened. I was the only lucky one. My saluran, surprisingly, after my huff and puff climbing up three floors, had the shortest queue - just 5 people. The ballot boxes were almost full to the brim. So I guess, most have already voted. Angah had 30 people in front of him, while Kak Ros took the longest time - almost 45 minutes.
Tanggungjawab terhadap negara... Mine didn't rub off that easily although the ink got really smudged due to my sweat under the hot sun. 

Went home to find my Kak Long already arrived. She was advised by her husband to stay with us since she'll be alone. All those rumours of demonstrations and riots and what-nots have been circulating. But then, we went out anyway for lunch and groceries and for some good time :). That night, I was the only one who stayed up till 1.30am. By then more or less could already know the results. A few states have formed their government. Only Selangor remained very slow. Only results for 5 seats were released. I had my phone browsing FB and a few other websites. Seemed PR claimed victory. I guess there had to be recounts. So I went to bed. Not a very comfortable sleep. Got up again at 3.30am. Checked a few websites. PR won in Selangor. Got back to sleep.

The whole country is still buzzing with comments on the GE. My only thought - can we just move on already? Yes, BN won. With lesser seats. Good in many ways. Better check and balance. A good shake and knock on the head (hope that would put in some sense) that rakyat has shown its preference, needs and wants. Now both must work hard to earn the rakyat's trust. Five years is actually not that far away. But please, start working for the rakyat. 

Comments