Skip to main content

Still At It...

I'm still at it. This report is killing me. Literally. After working on it over the weekend - deadline Monday morning - with little sleep, back and shoulders aching, and blood pressure at alarming rate (I think la), I finally managed to finish the 68-page report at 3am Monday. Sempat take a breakie pegi jemput Aliyah from her Mak Long's place on Sunday.

After I emailed the report, I decided - I'm not going to go to the client's place for that 11am meeting with the powers that be (really powerful). I've worked like crazy to finish the report, with data being given only on Friday morning (97% final - still not final!), being promised to be given slides that contain summary of the analysis which I eventually didn't get and had to do my own based on the excel file that contains rows and rows of numbers, and progressive write-up submitted that was not read and given feedback because everybody was busy with data collecting and churning and what-nots... The last thing I want is to face the powers that be and got criticized. I decided that I am not and will not allow myself to be a punching bag or scapegoat. So I told myself - I'm going to call sick.

And I really got sick! I text my contact person saying I am sick and the next thing I know, I was down with fever. (Aliyah was laughing when I told her of my crime). I spent Monday lying on the sofa of my office with horrible headache and cold. Seriously, I am not young anymore to work days and nights straight like that. At one point, I told Hubby - I don't care about this project anymore. I thought to call it quits, tell the client to just take whatever I've done and complete it themselves. The worst case scenario will be - I won't get paid and my company will be blacklisted from future projects. Nothing major. Rezeki comes from Allah.

But of course I am not a quitter. I might be "suicidal" yesterday. But today my head got cleared up. The moment I got online, my GTalk got buzzing with messages from the client asking me whether I'm be coming in. Nope - I'm not. Still sick. But give me stuff to amend. And the files started to come in - the scanned copy of scribbles on the report and (surprise!) a slide that contains the analysis I was supposed to get last Friday.

So, here I am still working on the report. Sigh... One consolation though. My contact person said - the powers that be said my write-up was kind of good. I just need guidance on the choice of words to reflect their organisation's writing style. (Alhamdulillah, I've been praying asking Allah to help me - ilham, ideas to help me complete the work). In other words - if the team had actually vet through the draft, they could have advised on the words I wrongly used. (Well not wrong, but preferred words - like "comprises" instead of "consists of"). Now, back to the report...

Comments