Skip to main content

Never Done This Before... But Had To...

It has been such a stressful week. The writing job that was literally killing me, continued to slowly kill me. I worked over the weekend, made amendments, rewrote sections, etc based on feedback that came from various people. And the crazy thing was - they commented on something, asked to changed, then a few days later looked that that section again and commented that I wrote it wrongly, and asked to changed. I was like... OMG... Itu belum lagi masuk bab data asyik bertukar. Last Friday I waited till 6pm for feedback - they scribbled on hardcopy - apparently the latest console I got was not the latest. Did the changes over the weekend, cross-checked against the new console, come Monday - the data I had was wrong. There's an updated console. I tried to be very, very accommodating and patient. But then, a little comment on "track changes" said - "updated data already given to you". I was like... when???

I took a step back, did solat istiharah twice. I reflected on all the things that have happened in the duration of the project. How Aliyah was left at the office (bertemankan other nice tenants), how I literally run from the client's site to the train station to catch the komuter back so that I can get to the office to be with her, how I spent weeks doing the work but kept getting new figures and numbers, and how I despise looking at this data of how the powers that be spent tax-payers money - the allocated amount, the amount spent, the amount not spent (wonder where it went?), etc - while small businesses like me struggle to survive.

So, I wrote an email informing that I quit. I have never done this before. I have always been a professional. I will complete a job even if it kills me. But this time around, I just cannot go on. It was not fair for me. It might not be fair for them but they should have managed the project better.

I then sat quietly for some time. And alhamdulillah, for the first time in weeks, I felt so relief. I don't know what the consequences will be. But I already wrote in my email that they don't have to pay me. I take it as a very rewarding experience. The worst that could happen? My company might get blacklisted. Obviously will not get payment. No problem. Rezeki Allah yang bagi. Berdoa semoga mendapat yang lebih baik.

Comments