Skip to main content

Close Encounter

God, my hands are still shaking...

I'm now spending the weekend at my Kak Long's place. Aliyah has been staying with her since Wednesday. It's a week's holiday for her due to UPSR exams and we thought it's better for her to spend her time with her Mak Long rather than being left at the office while we go for meetings.

Anyway, my sister, Aliyah and I went to have roti canai at Syed's just now. It was already past 10am, so not many people were there. While eating, I saw this old Indian lady with very long hair (which she draped across her shoulders that made it looked like she was wearing a shawl) going to the counter to order and pay for her takeaway. The counter was just next to us. What startled me was that she had a parang under her armpit, like she was casually carrying an umbrella.

My heart skipped a beat. I slowly leaned over to Aliyah to put my arms on the back of her chair because Aliyah was closest to the lady. A man walked past, saw the lady with the parang and gave a shocked look. I signaled to the manager and pointed to the lady. The guy quietly signaled back saying she was harmless. But my sister and I were very disturbed and scared. My fear was really for Aliyah's safety. Who knows what this lady could do? She could just turn around and swing her parang around and the closest to her was Aliyah. The only thing I could do was recite ayat Qursi over and over asking for God's protection.

After she talked to the cashier, she went over to the roti canai making place and chatted with the cook. I think she was a regular at the place hence why the manager was not so worried. But still, she had a parang with her and that made her a dangerous person! We quickly paid and went off, and saw that the lady also walked off the opposite direction. A police patrol car drove past but we were busy looking out for the lady we couldn't signal in time.

I must say it was one hell of a scary experience. You never know what this kind of encounter might lead to. My thoughts - those bad things you read in the newspapers, about some parang-yielding mentally-unstable people going amok might actually start with such "harmless" encounter. I thank Allah swt nothing happened.

Comments