Skip to main content

RIP LC

I got the news from ex-ITP FB status. My ex-boss Lim Chong died in flight on the way back from assignment in London. It was certainly such sad news. I couldn't really sleep last night. I thought of my days working at ITP - my "real" first job. And of the kind of person LC was.

I remember during my first week, I haven't gotten my PC yet and had to rotate using other sub-editors' PCs and on one busy day all PCs were occupied, he got me to use his PC. So there I was sitting in his cubicle, on his chair, using his PC while he sat across me checking print-outs. He smiled saying that day I was the boss.

I remember he would chase us to go home early on Wednesdays especially after heavy issues. I remember he would wait for all of us to go back home, no matter how late it was, before he himself went home. I remember visiting him after my issue came out when I was the OC to ask for his opinion and he would stumble and stutter (in giving his comments) and finally say "OK lah". And I remember the nights before going home that I saw him immerse either reading or writing articles about chess.

Lim Chong, rest in peace. Thank you very much for the 2 years. For the knowledge and experiences shared. You will be missed.

----->>

Ex-senior GM of NST firm dies

KUALA LUMPUR: Lim Chong, the former senior general manager of IT Publications, then a subsidiary of New Straits Times Press, died on Thursday.

Lim, 56, an economic news service sub-editor with Bernama, left for London on Tuesday for an assignment. He died on the flight back to Malaysia.

He first joined the Malay Mail as a reporter in the mid- 1970s and later becoming a sub-editor in the New Straits Times. Subsequently, he was promoted production manager of CompuTimes, the then twice-weekly information technology pullout of NST in 1993.

A year later, he became senior general manager of IT Publications until he left in September 2004.

Lim then joined Bernama as a sub-editor at the Economic News Service.

NST's Tech & U news editor Ahmad Kushairi Mohd Darus remembered Lim as a quiet boss who let his staff do their work independently.

He was also a chess enthusiast and a council member of the Selangor Chess Association.

He leaves a wife, Tan Hong See, and a son.

Comments