Skip to main content

Old Pix of Aliyah

I was opening my old files to search for photos to put in our newly-revamped website when I found some photos of Aliyah at the old office. They were dated 2006. It just struck me that Aliyah has been with me in forming up this company from the very start - through thick and thin, good times and bad times, laughter and tears... She has been a loyal "employee"! She spent so much time at the office - more than any other staff.

She's the main reason for me forming up this company - to be able to spend more time with her. I guess that's mainly the reason why women set up their own business. I watched Best Food Ever on TLC last night of the top 10 bakeries around US and most of the owners are women, and at least a couple of them said the reason for leaving high-flying jobs to set up their bakeries was to spend more time with their children.
I specifically bought her a low table - a mini version of our office tables. She was really into drawing and writing at 5 years old. The drawers were full of her stuff - books, papers, colour pencils...
She's so cute, isn't she! Here at the old office's kitchen.

This kitchen had served us well. In 2008 when Pak Lah ordered all external trainings to be stopped, we lost our main business. For the next 6 months, while working on new business proposals, Linda and I worked at this kitchen to bake cupcakes for sale. Yup, we survived on that, even managed to get a small contract to supply cupcakes for a big wedding. I remember the office always smelt of cakes. In between making cake batters and having them baked in the oven, we would run back to our laptops to work.

In running a business, one needs to be creative, resourceful and resilient. This experience taught me well - bad things happen all the time, so one needs to be prepared with Plans B to Z. It also taught me to bake delicious cakes!

Comments