Skip to main content

Life is Fragile

There was a fatal accident involving some UMNO people on Wednesday in Putrajaya. Hubby and I missed it by merely minutes. We were on our way back to Seri Putra from Cyberjaya after a meeting. That stretch of road at Desa Pinggiran Putra is notorious for being a hot spot for fatal accidents. I've seen a couple of accidents there before - one of them the horrific one involving a Kancil. So, every time we use that road, I always have this not so good feeling in my gut.

That Wednesday, I saw from a far a blue Estima already blocking the road. A couple of cars already stopped and a few people were seen making phone calls. We passed the nearest lamp post - there was this wreck there which I first thought was a motorbike. Apparently, it was the side door stuck to the lamp post. We slowed down. Two men were lying motionless on the road with blood starting to stain the road. They were obviously being thrown out of the car. Two men were sitting at the curb with their heads bleeding. Then I saw one guy getting off the wreck, also with his head bleeding, and stumbled on the road.

The accident just happened because not many people were around. And spectators from nearby houses have yet to know about it I guess. Hubby decided to drive past. I believe there's nothing we can do anyway. Help is already on the way. I, for one, do not handle this kind of scenario very well. My stomach started to get nauseous, a terrible headache automatically kicked in and I felt my hands shaking.

I thought of how fragile life is. And how one's life can be taken or spared. Allah swt is great. After our meeting with our partner Amru, we went downstairs to his Tutti Frutti outlet and had ice creams. Amru asked us to pack one for Aliyah but I took so long to get it. A few times I told Hubby - "nanti kejap" when he asked me to get one for Aliyah. And while getting the ice cream, I took so long to pick the topping Aliyah would like - should it be cereals, fruits or choc chip? My mind went blank. I didn't know what to choose. I should know because I know what Aliyah likes. The guy at the counter looked at me with impatience. I think the only reason stopping him from asking me politely (or impatiently) what topping I wanted was because I am the friend of his boss.

Those blessed minutes I delayed our journey back might have saved us. Of course it's qada' and qadar. I mean, what if we were a few minutes early and our little Viva got slammed by the uncontrollable Estima? I thank Allah for our safety.

Comments