Skip to main content

Family Gathering - BBQ

It is not easy to get everybody in my family to be at the same place and the same time. But today, I think for the first time in years, we were all there at once under the same roof - my parents' extended car porch - including the nephews and nieces. The BBQ was a success. Food was abundance, drinks free flowing, the BBQ pit smoking hot with pieces of chicken, prawns and lambs, and most importantly in good company.
The BBQ pit manned by my nephews. My father looked on waiting for his share of lamb, but everybody actually thought that he's not supposed to eat lamb. After he ate the rest of the food, he went back to the house and my brother Azlan took in a huge piece for him. Then he came back out to get sauces for his lamb. And everybody looked at each other grinning - and feeling a bit guilty! Hehehe...
My mother with my Kak Long.
Aliyah in her now-too-small golf cap. The kids are now in frisbee craze.
The cake I made this morning. Plain vanilla cake with lemon butter cream. OK la, but the the cake was too "heavy". Have not baked for such a long time, I forgot to toast the flour in the oven.

Comments

baking soda said…
With reference to your blog post http://livingsarah.blogspot.com/2010/02/family-gathering-bbq.html

I just read your comments that the cake flour need to be toasted to make the cake lighter? Betul ke? If yes, I would like to try this. And if yes, may I know the recipe?

Jasmin
baking soda said…
I'm so sorry. I just saw that you bake cakes for sale, so you don't have to pass me any recipes. But I would be very happy if you could explain why the flour has to be toasted. I'm very curious.

Thanks in advance.

Jasmin
Aniza said…
Hi Jasmin,
I don't really bake cakes for sale. It was just a hobby :)

Some good quality flour you can straight away use, however, sometimes you might have a bag of flour that you have opened and then sealed for some time. So, the flour can be a bit "moist" thus be heavy. Just like my grandmother used to put flour on a tray and put it out under the sun to make it drier especially when making baulu, I actually applied the same concept, just that I put flour in baking tray and put it in the oven for 2-3 minutes. Maybe the word "toast" is misleading :).
Aniza said…
Oh, for the cake I baked you can use any simple vanilla butter cake. This is the recipe for butter icing I used:
Butter Frosting
100g butter or 70g butter & 30g creamwell
1 cup icing sugar
1 tablespoon milk
some lemon juice
some lemon zest
- Beat until white