Skip to main content

Aliyah and Her Hair

When I was in primary school, I've always had my hair short. My mom always, always ensured that. Then, when I was in secondary school and staying at ATPN, I had shoulder- length hair, but the "rock" style (it was the 80's ok). Yang layered tu. Since I'm not the girlish type, I never had those fancy hairclips and stuff, just plain hairband.

I remember my gang and I always made fun of the girlish type girls. (We ruled the hostel...). There was one in particular. She's very pretty, with exotic name. And she's an expert when it comes to "playing" with her hair. In prep hall, we can see her sit, first, with her hair flowing. Next, you can see her hair is in braids. Then, you look up and see her hair in now in pony tail. Then those fancy hairclips start to be all over. Then, she will braid her hair back - at times the elaborate ways. And all these within just a few hours, and without any mirror. We always rolled our eyes watching her and wondering what fun is there playing with one's hair.

Now, my daughter is exactly like that! She really likes to play with her hair and that irritates me. At first, she asked me to do her hair, but I told her, Mommy doesn't know how to because Mommy didn't have long hair in school. I feel bad at first, I mean this is a mother-daughter kind of bonding, but I don't know how to tie her hair! Good thing her teachers at her daycare loves doing her hair. So, she'll come back with braids or multiple ponytails. Then she started to tie her hair on her own. After many, many messy outcomes, she has now perfected her ponytails. Now she can tie two ponytails in perfect symmetry.

But she's now acting just like that friend of ours - she'll do her hair, undo it, then tie it again. Once I scolded her because she tied and untied her hair while we were shopping, and she got left behind because she was too busy. Itu la kan, what goes around comes around! Dulu kutuk-kutuk orang... Hmm...
Rambut dah pendek pun sibuk nak ikat. She had two ponytails in a rush sebab nak main playstation.

Comments