Skip to main content

A Mother's Love

I was working from home 2 days ago and took a break to watch Oprah. I'm not really an avid fan and not a follower of her shows even though I truly admire this remarkable woman who can change things by simply citing her name. The episode was a 20th year special and Oprah recalled amazing people she talked about at her show and give updates.

There was this story that really touched my heart that I cried, really, really cried. I've never really cried that much watching TV but that story was really sad. I think it happened in 1997 about a woman who was diagnosed with breast cancer and did something amazing for her little daughter. I think the daughter was about 2 years old when she got to know about the cancer. Knowing that she won't live long, she started video-taping herself - she talked, gave advise, told stories, joked... The footage showed her when she looked healthy, and then when she was hospitalised with tubes in her nose, when she was home after a chemo with her hair really short... Footage of her with her daughter - playing, talking, simply lying side by side enjoying mother and daughter moments with laughter, hugs and kisses. The words "I love you so much" were uttered hundreds of times from her mouth.

I didn't know how the story ended so I was anticipating while Oprah didn't really give a hint. At first it looked like she was going to survive. But then Oprah said that the woman passed away a few years later losing her battle to the cancer. She had tears in her eyes. And then I cried. I cried so much I got a headache. I felt so sad for the child. To have lost such a wonderful and loving mother. I can't imagine how it must have felt. To know that you will not live to see the child grow up, living day by day knowing death is just around the corner. How heart-wretching it must felt to know that the child will lose you as a mother soon when she's still so young.

I thought of Sarah, of how short and fragile life is... How much love I have for her.

Comments