Skip to main content

Astronaut, Cosmonaut, Space Tourist, Whatever

I promised myself not to write anything on this, but then I ni pelupa orangnya. So, before I started to believe all that I read in the newspapers, I'm just going to jot down my own thoughts.

If you ask me about Malaysia's space programme where we successfully sent one of our people to space, the only image that came to my mind is - handsome sesangatnya lah Dr Sheikh ni. That's it. Experiment? What experiment?

Now to think of it, I wonder if the choosing of him is simply a distraction. So that people, especially teen girls, women and makcik2, will be mesmerized and ogled over this almost perfect guy. Handsome, smart, tall, fair, nice hair, perfect face, nice teeth and smile, athletic, etc. And don't underestimate the power of women - if ada orang kutuk2 Dr Sheikh saja, sure kena one.

Anyway, the moment he touched down, the press is full of congratulatory messages. Malaysia boleh la. We succeeded la. But one thing I dok wonder is - what is it that we succeeded?
1. We succeeded in sending someone to space and he managed to come back safely? [If like that, baik letak si Tipah kucing belakang rumah I tu dalam space capsule, send it to ISS and then send it back.]
2. We succeeded in conducting experiments in space? [How can we tell whether it succeeded or not since the stuff are still not back in our labs?]
3. We succeeded in sending our local food to space and got the other astronauts to eat them? [This one maybe la, just that I don't know whether those other astronauts sakit perut ke tak after eating rendang.]
4. We succeeded to getting closer to developed nation status? [Developed nation is not measured by the success of sending a person to space in a Russia spacecraft while some people in the country still live in poverty and single mothers have to go to work locking their kids in their rented room because they can't afford babysitters, that the room later got burned and their children died, because the Government who the majority in management are men still don't see that fathers who run away from their responsibilities of providing for their children must be prosecuted.]

The word "succeeded" is over-rated here. And I still wonder what we "succeeded" in doing. Maybe I will find the answers in our newspapers these next few days until Dr Sheikh comes back home. Meanwhile, enjoy admiring his pretty face.

Comments