Skip to main content

Movie: The Surprising Raising Helen

Watched this movie last weekend on HBO. I expected a comedy of slapstick where this young, ambitious woman struggles with the huge task of raising 3 kids - the usual comic spills of food on expensive clothes while clumsily getting ready for work with 3 brats getting in the way. Well, there were such instances in Raising Helen, however, it was surprisingly touching and unexpectedly good. The movie reminded me of a German movie I watched months back on more or less the same plot - how a woman "inherited" kids after her sister died in a car accident.

I'm not going to really talk about the movie, more on the emotions derived from it. One - hubby actually turned to me and said, "Now I understand how you feel, to have lost your independence after the birth of our child". For the past 5 years I have been kind of "trapped" in this role of being a mother - no more late night teh tarik sessions with friends at Bangsar stalls, no more mid-night movie shows... All my personal outings have to be carefully planned - what day, who will care for Sarah, what food to prepare, etc. Impromptu or last minute get-togethers are simply out of the question. Like my immediate boss, Ayi, used to say - "people with kids are boring people".

Two - who will care for Sarah is something were to happen to both of us? Faces kept coming to my mind but I don't know if any of them will be good "replacements" for us. How would Sarah feel if she lost us both? I can't imagine how lost she might feel... And who would ever love her as much as we do? Oh God, I love her so much.

Comments