Skip to main content

Another Book: Never Let Me Go

The only words to sum up this book is - mixed feelings. I can't really say I've enjoyed reading it, but I can't really say it didn't stir any emotions because it really did. It's simply - mixed!.

I picked up Never Let Me Go after seeing it was listed under must-read books. And after Kafka on the Shore, I'm a sucker for Japanese writers. It was written by Kazuo Ishiguro - the author of The Remains of the Day, which I actually have not read. The style of writing is a bit dreary in the sense that the character, Kathy H, would be telling her story and actually touch about something and say she would elaborate it in a short while. After 2-3 "incidents" of this, I actually got sick of that style of story-telling. I mean, just tell. You don't have to tell me you will tell me about it soon. But then again, Kathy H is a clone, so maybe that's the way her mind works.

In the end, the whole story is a bit disturbing. It made me wonder whether there really exist such clones in this world where the purpose of their existance is to supply organs for donations. It is said that after the 4th donation, the donor (the clone) would either "complete" (die) or if the donor is still alive,he or she would be on some kind of life support (my own conclusion) waiting for more donations until eventually the donor dies.

The clones are perceived as without soul - no feelings nor intelligence. But there's this group of people who proved the theory wrong by educating the clones even though they know that in the end, the education doesn't go anywhere. In little words - it's like rearing cows or sheep to be slaughtered.

The ending was sad where Kathy H lost her friends after their donations. It's disturbing to think if such life exist - that the sole purpose of your existance is to supply organs to people and knowing that you will have to supply until you yourself cease to exist.

Comments