Skip to main content

Oprah: Memorable Episodes by Producers

Ever since I started working from home, I've been catching up with watching Oprah Winfrey Show. As I said before, I have never been a fan. But I have this huge admiration for this beautiful woman. While I'm not hooked on to the show, I'll watch it when there's interesting topics of discussion. I'm starting an Oprah sections for this blog.

So, this morning was a show on reflections. Oprah invited her key production team to the show - her producers - and each of them talked about their most memorable episodes that each of them produced. It was such an amazing show - the producers talked about their work behind the scenes, about the people whom they invited, their experience... As usual there were footages of the previous episodes. The show featured people from all backgrounds - from celebrities (the famous jumping on the couch by Tom Cruise) to world leaders such as Nelson Mandela to ordinary people like you and me whose stories become so much amazing on TV, and most touching, people around the world who experience hardships and sufferings.

And there's something about Oprah that simply touch you really deep in your heart. The way she interacts with people, the way she gets people to talk, her warmth. I've never seen this kind of person all my life. There was one episode when she went to South Africa and she met this 28 year old woman suffering from AIDS. The woman was dying, so thin and so sick. She went to the hospital with the woman's daughter (about 7-8 years old) and watching the little girl hug her mother was so sad. Oprah talked to the woman and then asked the man accompanying her (I think some officer from the hospital) about the treatment the woman was receiving. And how surprised Oprah was that she was receiving treatment for the symptoms she's showing and not anti-virus for HIV. Reason being - there just aren't any drugs for that around. Oprah just couldn't believe it, she was shedding tears.

And in the end, Oprah thanked the woman saying thank you for giving her the chance to meet her. She went back hugging the little girl. And what's so sad is that the girl then ran back to her mother and hugged her tightly again before going back. It was such a sad footage that I cried. There's really something about Oprah that people can easily cry during her shows. Anyway, being the powerful and influencial woman she is, after her visit South Africa started programs to acquire anti-virus for HIV patients.

Comments