Skip to main content

Sarah Started School

Yes, she's finally started school on Tuesday. Her first giant step towards many more years of education to come. The days before the D-day were filled with words of encouragement from both of us to her. She was so happy at one time, and then would fall apart at the other saying she would cry if we leave her at the school. It was a week of heartbreaks, happiness, pride all blended into one huge emotion.

The Tuesday morning started early. We woke her up at 7am, got her to drink her milk, take her bath, then breakfast of porridge. She looked so cute in her yellow and white school uniform, with her hair cut short. When I left her to the care of the teachers she didn't have much time to look back. Her attention was on the teacher holding her hand, fiddling on the nametag the teacher pinned on her uniform and then getting led away into the school. When I called her name and waved goodbye, she gave me a blank look and a little smile. There were too much happening around her, with other kids, teachers and parents, she was in a daze.

I went back into the car and hubby drove away. We both had tears in our eyes. Our little daughter is finally in school... It seemed like just yesterday that she was a little pale baby in my arms.

We picked her up at around 10.30am. There was a sea of identical looking kids I couldn't really spot her. Then hubby saw her and pointed her to me. There she was at the front porch, a boy animatedly talking to her, with her giving the boy a boring look. She was scanning the crowd for us. I can see that she is worried and scared but she was trying very hard to mask her feelings. When she finally saw us, she gave us a huge shy smile and waved. I felt so proud that she didn't cry.

On the way home she didn't talk so much that I got a bit worried. Suddenly she seemed to have have grown. She seemed to have changed. After a while, she was back to the old Sarah. But I can sense that something inside her has changed, that she now know she's facing the really world head on.

Yesterday we waited for her at my mother's place. She was to take the school van home. The van came 2 hours later, I was worried sick. All the while images of her in the school van, driven by a total stranger, going around unfamiliar places, kept flashing in my mind. How scared she must be... When the van came, I ran to the gate, opened the door and hugged her. She gave me a relieved look and a huge kiss. Later she surprised us all by telling that she actually showed the van driver the way back.

It was a tiring 2 days for me. All the stress, the tension, the anxiety... All mixed with the feelings of pride and happiness. She's a big girl now. I have to let her go...

Comments