Skip to main content

Now a Daily Routine

It's been about 2 weeks now since Sarah started schooling. Surprisingly, things are going on very well for our little family. I was preparing for the worst - mornings filled with stress and chaos with 3 people after the same bathroom, getting the clothes ironed (yea, yea... always promise myself to do the ironing the night before but seldom successful), getting Sarah to drink her milk and then cereals, dress, and other 1001 things that need to be done before finally locking the door and head out for the day. But what can I expect from a well-mannered little daughter and a helpful husband? Smooth, hassle-free mornings!

Sarah actually wakes up on her own around 6.45am now. Whoever sees her first will prepare her milk and she will watch cartoon until 7am peacefully, all the while in the background, her parents will be systematically going in and out of various rooms taking care of things. There's no schedule or division of work between us, just a matter of being considerate, helpful and most importantly each wanting to do something to help Sarah prepare for school.

It's like operating machine in a factory where absent-mindedly (me especially as I really am not a morning person) each of us will reach for things and complete the tasks without much words being said. I woke up this morning, brought Sarah's uniform to the back room, startling my hubby who's doing his ironing, left the uniform there, reached out for her milk bottle on the way to the bathroom and throw it into the sink. Done with my bath, saw that Sarah has woken up with a bottle in her mouth, and on the way back to the room, prepared her breakfast of HoneyStar, put it on the kitchen table and went into the bedroom and on the way saw that my hubby has ironed Sarah's uniform and laid out her socks. And all these are done in between both of us getting ready for work. Like I said - systematic.

I used to dread the time when Sarah will finally go to school because that will mean I will lose my lazy morning routine and couldn't even imagine waking up early to send her to school. However, these few days have been simply great. I think it's the feeling of happiness I felt that she is now a big girl and also seeing that excitement in her eyes. She always insist on carrying her own schoolbag, struggling to get the big bag into the car, all the while walking tall and proud. I pray every morning she will learn well, play well and live well...

Comments