Skip to main content

Two Books - at the Same Time

I put aside re-reading "Sophie's World" (which still proves to be a difficult book to finish) in favour of this old book - "Liar's Poker" - which also proves to be a difficult book to finish because of the dog-eat-dog world of the US stock market. I can never admire such profession of making one rich or bankrupt in matter of seconds.

My long talk about fantasy books with Megat H to a meeting a few weeks ago made me dig back my old books. At one point during my uni years, I was crazy about fantasy books. Now I'm re-reading "Servant of the Empire" - the 2nd in the Empire trilogy by Raymond E Fiest and Janny Wursts. The book was one I rented from an outlet at Subang Parade (my favourite rent-a-book shop) and never returned. After reading about a quarter of the book, it just doesn't feel right. I need the first book! My online search found the book no longer available at MPH. So, I Googled and finally managed to get this PDF copy, which I'm sure was a text scanned version as certain words are missing or misspelled.

So, now I'm reading "Daughter of the Empire" on my laptop and at night "Servant of the Empire" in bed. Next will be "Mistress of the Empire", which I remember is not as exciting as the first 2 books. I have it on my bookshelf. Another one I never returned!

I wonder if that rent-a-book shop still exists at Subang Parade. I so love that shop. If university libraries never appeal to me, that shop was a dream library. It was quiet, dark (under the stairs), with wooden bookshelves, smelled like old books with a nice owner. I had a few good chats with the owner about books while I sat cross-legged on the floor with an armful of books I wanted, mentally calculating how many I could rent based on the few bills I had in my purse. All for the joy of reading :)

Comments