Skip to main content

My Company is 1 Year Plus

Orang tua-tua kata apa - pejam celik pejam celik dah setahun. How time flies. I started scouting around for an office in February last year. Signed the rent agreement in April. Mid-April I recruited Linda, my ATPN days friend (she was in CBN, I was Sri Aman, we both stayed at a hostel in Kg Pandan). Together we cleaned the dusty 3-bedroom office apartment, buy furniture and equipment. All using my savings. The week after we temporarily moved some stuff to my house - printer, fax machine, PC - because we couldn't get telephone line fast enough - no more lines available for Section 15. Our first seminar was planned and executed from the living room of my house. I would fetch Linda from the komuter station, have breakfast, then go back to my house and work. Then I would stop to cook a simple meal. We would eat lunch and watch Oprah. Then continue working till 5.30. Then I would send her to the station again.

The seminar didn't materialize. But it was a good learning experience. Both of us have never organized any event before, not even a birthday party so the rejections and failure were embraced in good spirit. We moved back to the office mid May after I wrote a letter of complaint to TM. Lepas complaint, suddenly, ada pulak free line, even though our telephone and fax numbers are way, way different. Tak kisah lah. We planned another seminar and made it in June. From then on, we organize one event a month. We stopped organizing for 2 months ie Ramadhan and Syawal. Then continued and stopped again in December.

This year we started in February and from then it's at least 1 event in a month, usually two. It's been a year of roller-coaster ride for me. But it's been one of the best years of my life. I finally have my own company. I work for my own destiny. I do what I like doing. I work with people I like to work with and I have more control of things. I can go to work at 10.30am without anybody giving me nasty looks. I can work into the night till the wee hours of the morning and feel good about it. I spend more time with my daughter. I fetch her from school at least one day in a week and work from home so that I can spend the whole day with her. I squeeze in a couple hours of English tuition class in a week for my niece, her friend and Aliyah - for free. I didn't know that one can feel so much joy when a 7-year-old kid can spell "twelve" and know the difference between "on", "in" and "under".

I earn much, much less than before, but it's a much, much better and satisfying life.

Comments

Anonymous said…
congrats. hard work but with satisfaction. u enjoyed ur work, that what matters. wish u prosperous years ahead.
Anonymous said…
I believe you have bigger plans beyond 1 or 2 trainings per month. Surely ;)

Semoga terus maju. InsyaAllah dengan doa, taqwa, tawakkal.... disertai blood, sweat & tears.

Looking forward to future collaboration.

wassalam,
ABA
Aniza said…
Thanks Bahaman. Yes, that's what matters :)

ABA, mana boleh cerita banyak2! Yes, hope can work together.